Who are we?
There are two classes in Year 2:
The two classes are 2HW (Mrs Honeybourne and Mrs Watson) and 2T (Mr Troup). We are also joined by our teaching assistants who are Mrs Potts, Mrs Hutchinson and Mrs Baber.
Parent Information Pack of Home Activities (January 2022)
Parents Evening Handouts
This half term our RE Big Question is 'What is a place of worship and why is it special?'
- what makes a place special
- what it is like to visit a mosque/church/Mandir and Synagogue
- what you would expect to find in a mosque/church/Mandir and Synagogue
- comparing different places of worship
- explaining in simple terms the meaning of the word ‘worship’
- explaining why a place of worship is special to a person of faith
This half term our History topic is 'Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole'.
We will learn about:
- the differences between hospitals in Victorian times and now.
- how to investigate and interpret the past.
- who Mary Seacole was and why she was famous
- compare the work of Florence Nightingale and Mary Seacole
This half term our Science topic is 'Living Things and their Habitat:
We will learn:
- the differences between things that are living, dead, and things that have never been alive
- that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited and describe how different habitats provide for the basic needs of different kinds of animals and plants, and how they depend on each other
- how animals obtain their food from plants and other animals, using the idea of a simple food chain, and identify and name different sources of food
This half term our PE topic is '':
We will develop our:
This half term our DT topic is 'Moving Minibeasts':
We will learn how:
- To be able to create a sliding mechanism
- To be able to create a pivot and lever mechanism
- To be able to create a wheel mechanism
- To be able to design a mini beast moving picture
- To be able to create a mini beast moving picture
- To be able to evaluate my own mini beast moving picture.
Our PE days are Tuesday and Wednesday. Please ensure PE kits are in on those days.
- White t-shirt/ school PE shirt or house shirt;
- Dark shorts;
- Dark joggers and sweatshirt;
Our Forest School session will take place every other week on Monday.
On these days children will be expected to come into school in appropriate clothing with their legs covered and trainers that they can get muddy.
Our Forest School sessions are:
Monday 20th June
Monday 4th July
Monday 18th July
It is important that you are hydrated so please remember to bring in a water bottle. Break time fruit is provided.
There will be one piece of homework set each week. This will change between English, Maths, Science or one area of the wider curriculum.
All homework is set on Friday and is expected back by the following Wednesday.
“You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.” Dr. Seuss.
We would like you to encourage your child to read at home every day. Please ensure that your child has their reading record in their book bag each day. Children change their book each week.
A useful website to help you find appropriate books to read is:
In Year 2, we would like all children to participate with our fun and interactive Reading Eggs programme both at home and at school. All children should be encouraged to enjoy 30 minutes of Reading Eggs at home every week, including one reading lesson. Please feel free to extend your learning for even longer! Your teacher will be able to see all of your hard work. Play games, complete puzzles, read stories, write your own stories and complete reading and spelling lessons all whilst earning awards and styling your own Reading Egg character.
You will find your login details in your green homework book. Quick, log in now to start the fun!
Curriculum content and photos: