Who are we?
There are two classes in Year 2:
The two classes are 2HW (Mrs Honeybourne and Mrs Watson) and 2K (Miss King). We are also joined by our teaching assistants who are Mrs Potts and Mrs Richardson
Parent Information Pack of Home Activities
Want to lend a hand at home?
Information about how RWI phonics and Literacy is taught in Year 2
This half term our RE Big Question is 'How important is it for Jewish people to do what God asks them to do?'
We will learn:
- To understand the term ‘respect’
- To understand some of the traditions of Passover
- The understand the story of Moses
This term our History topic is 'The Great Fire of London'
We will learn about:
- investigating and interpreting the past.
- chronology and how to communicate historically
- the Great Fire of London, an event beyond living memory which is significant nationally
This term our Science topic is 'Materials':
- Identify and compare the suitability of a variety of everyday materials, including wood, metal, plastic, glass, brick, rock, paper and cardboard for particular uses.
- Find out how the shapes of solid objects made from some materials can be changed by squashing, bending, twisting and stretching.
This half term our PE topic is 'Dance':
We will learn to:
To repeat, link and choose actions.
To create actions and accurately copy other’s actions.
To perform in unison creating shapes with a partner.
To be able to mirror a partner and create ideas.
To copy, repeat and create actions in response to a stimulus.
To create a short dance phrase with a partner showing clear changes of speed.
This half term our Art topic is 'Arcimboldo':
We will learn how:
- To use a key piece as an inspiration for art work
- To create a range of art work using different media
- Evaluate different fruit.
- Understand how to use knives safely and work hygienically with food.
- Design a fruit salad.
- Make a fruit salad safely
- Evaluate a fruit salad.
This half term our Computing topic is 'Making Music':
We will learn how:
- I can identify simple differences in pieces of music
- I can create a rhythm pattern
- I can use a computer to experiment with pitch and duration
- I can use a computer to create a musical pattern using three notes
Our PE days are Monday and Wednesday. Please ensure PE kits are in on those days.
- White t-shirt/ school PE shirt or house shirt;
- Dark shorts;
- Dark joggers and sweatshirt;
Our Forest School session will take place every other week on Tuesday.
On these days children will be expected to come into school in appropriate clothing with their legs covered and trainers that they can get muddy.
Our Forest School sessions are:
Tuesday 10th January
Tuesday 24th January
Tuesday 7th February
It is important that you are hydrated so please remember to bring in a water bottle. Break time fruit is provided.
A homework grid is sent home at the beginning of each half term containing 9 activities linked to our learning that half term to choose from. Please complete one homework a week and send it in to be marked.
Homework books are sent home every Friday and are expected back by the following Wednesday.
“You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.” Dr. Seuss.
We would like you to encourage your child to read at home every day. Please ensure that your child has their reading record in their book bag each day. Children change their book each week.
A useful website to help you find appropriate books to read is:
In Year 2, we would like all children to participate with our fun and interactive Reading Eggs programme both at home and at school. All children should be encouraged to enjoy 30 minutes of Reading Eggs at home every week, including one reading lesson. Please feel free to extend your learning for even longer! Your teacher will be able to see all of your hard work. Play games, complete puzzles, read stories, write your own stories and complete reading and spelling lessons all whilst earning awards and styling your own Reading Egg character.
You will find your login details in your green homework book. Quick, log in now to start the fun!
Year 2 Book Club
Curriculum content and photos: